Historic Places

Warren County Listings in the National Register of Historic Places (Link)

Sampled Warren County Listings in the National Register of Historic Places

Created by Alexandra Snedeker using ArcMap 10. Coordinates courtesy of the National Register of Historic Places.

CHAPEL OF THE GOOD SHEPARD (LINK)

  • Erected in 1871, at a time when Ridgeway Company officials wanted to make Ridgeway a bustling city
  • At the time, the closest Episcopal church was in Warrenton
  • Completed with the help of Dr. William J. Hawkins, a doctor from a wealthy North Carolina family
  • Designed to hold 200 people but never held that amount
  • Reached its peak popularity between 1875 and 190

WILLIAM J. HAWKINS HOUSE (LINK)

  • Also known as “Oakley Hall”
  • Hawkins was a physician, businessman, planter, and president of Raleigh and Gaston Railroad
  • One of the most ornate Greco-Italianate houses by well-known Warrenton builder Jacob Holt
  • Associated with antebellum society

LIBERIA SCHOOL (LINK)

  • One-teacher building built from 1921-1922 with help from the Rosenwald Fund
  • Served also as a meeting place for the African American community
  • Taught a blend of formal education and practical skills
  • Probably named for the country to which many freed slaves emigrated
  • Over 100 enrolled students but low enrollment and grade promotion
  • Sold to Holt family in 1962 and well-maintained but not in use

MANSFIELD THORNTON HOUSE (LINK)

  • Simple unaltered farmhouse that was occupied at the time of nomination
  • Greek-Revival style in county before the war, simpler post-Greek after
  • Mansfield Thornton was an educated slave owned by William Eaton, one of the wealthiest planters in the county)
  • Thornton was elected Warren County Register of Deeds and respected by both blacks and whites
  • Continually re-elected despite white pressure from white Democratic Party leaders
  • Thornton served on board of trustees at school for blacks

WARREN COUNTY TRAINING SCHOOL (LINK)

  • Included seven general classrooms, one home economics classroom, one science classroom
  • Includes a teacherage, auditorium, cafeteria, and agricultural building
  • Served as educational and social center for Locust Grove community
  • Damaged by a 1931 tornado which resulted in half a dozen deaths
  • Reconstructed building hailed as the best rural training school in North Carolina
  • Once had 700 students and 22 teachers

WARRENTON HISTORIC DISTRICT (LINK)

  • Memories of families, excellent memoirs, and conservatism have enabled Warrenton to retain historic character
  • Described as a “distinctively Southern and very traditional town”
  • Served as a marketplace for the county
  • Laid out by surveyor William Christmas, basic arrangement has survived to the present
  • Large proportion of buildings date from antebellum period
  • Not tightly packed except for its two-block commercial section
  • Most institutions such as the courthouse, high school, and jail are on original sites

Available Warren County Listings in the Historic American Buildings Survey (Link)

  • Peter Davis Store (Link)
  • Nathaniel Macon House (Link)
  • Hudgins House (Link)
  • Otis Green House (Link)
  • Elgin House (Link)
  • Palmer House (Link)